Sunday, September 24, 2006

Verizon RAZR bug

The Motorola RAZR V3c from Verizon has a security bug.

There is a way to bypass the automatic lock option which asks for a password when the phone is powered up. Normally, after powering up the cellphone, it asks for a password if you have set the "Automatic Lock" option on. However if you turn on the cell and immediately close it for a few minutes (I haven't timed how long) it appears to bypass the security lock and doesn't ask for a password. A weird side-effect of this is that the phone seems to work as normal except you cannot receive calls - they go straight to voicemail. You can make calls though.

I've only tested this with version .3 of Verizon's firmware, and don't know if it affects the original Motorola firmware.

3 comments:

Smith said...

Verizon needs to be more careful with their motorola razr!

Anonymous said...

I had a similar problem with my razor phones.
For me, however, the problem only occurred when I had the phone set to display a Greeting as it was booting up. As long as I have nothing in the Greeting, the auto lock works fine.

AggroMan said...

My verizon RAZR does the opposite. The "automatic lock" will activate without powering off. I will just flip it open randomly during the day and it will ask for the unlock code. Sometimes, I will be receiving a call and it will ask for the unlock code before I can answer. Weird. Does anyone know if this is fixable, because it sure as spit is annoying.